My Thing

My Life , My World ...


Be My Valentine

It is the time of the year again where people immerse themselves in sweet red or pink, giving out flowers, candies, love cards and writing love poems for their loved ones. This festival is widely celebrated in the 17th century where people exchange small gifts to show thier affection and appreciation for friends and lovers.

So why is this day known as Valentine?



From this www.history.com it is stated that Valentine's Day is a day celebrated in the name of St. Valentine. Valentine was a priest who served the Roman empire during the 3rd century. It all started when Emperor Claudius II decided that single men make better soldiers and that is when he forbade potential soldiers to get into any relationships or marriages. Valentine who is against this idea, helped young lovers to get together secretly. Unfortunately, his action was discovered and he was ordered to be sentenced.

While he was in prison, he fell deeply in love with a girl who came to visit him during confinement. It was believed that Valentine himself sent the first Valentine greeting. He wrote the girl a love letter confessing his deep thoughts and feelings towards her before his death by ending it with ' From your Valentine', a term still widely used until today. This is how everything started.



Valentine's day is not only a celebration for lovers but people who love each other - friends and families. We mustn't set stereotypical mindsets thinking that Valentine is only for people who are in a relationship or otherwise relationship's'. Nevertheless, love shouldn't be showered only on this day but throughout the year. Many people regard this as a day to impress. Those who are better off at words would sweet talk away thier love ones while some choose to load them with gifts. I always believe that' Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder', and no matter what you do he/she would definitely be touched by it, as ' Love is Blind'.


Everyone has a (at least) love story. You do, I do. Sweet or sour, interesting or boring ... but it will always remain as a part of our life. Make this Valentine a good and meaningful one!



Grey skies make way to blue,
Flowers blossom to its full,
I may love like a fool,
Cause you make me drool.

Love is everywhere,
Your smell fills the air,
God knows that i care,
Because I will always be there.

This simple poem written by me is dedicated to all the people out there and also to someone one special (You-Know-Who, yes it's you, Fitch!)

1 Responses to “Be My Valentine”

  1. # Blogger Rycerain

    Awwwwww.... you're soooooo sweeeet!!!
    If I'm the receiver of this poem.. I'll melt!!!
    By the way, very nicely written post... I love it!
    I totally agree with you... Valentine's day is a day to express our love to everyone we love... and if possible, make everyday a valentine's day... hehe
    So happy valentine's day to you! I love you cuz! ^^  

Post a Comment



© 2006 My Thing | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health